Wednesday, May 30, 2012

I'm off to a good start.....

So day 2 - I'm def not on the detox, YET, but slowly getting there... I don't know how I am going to give up caffeine again, that is my lifeline. But I guess you gotta do what you gotta do. I ate a healthy breakfast this morning, and I'm planning on eating a healthy lunch as well! :) Since it's Joanna's birthday, I'm skipping the workout because frankly there just isn't enough time in this day, and I don't want to wake up at 3:30am just to work out... I'm not there yet....

My amazing cousin Amy, a while back sent me this great email with some awesome tips on working out and dieting... and I wanted to share them all with you!

  • Workouts - I've found that no matter how hard I push myself on an elliptical or any other machine, nothing gets me back in shape faster than running.  More so outside than on a treadmill.  Tones me up more than other cardio.  I have no explanation for this, just an observation!
  • Food - Fiber and Lean Protein!!!  You need fiber for obvious reasons - get everything out, lol.  They say fiber also makes you feel full, but I need a little protein to make me feel full too.
  • Always eat wheat pasta, bread, etc.  Once I started reading labels, I realized how nutrient-deficient white pasta is.  Truth is, I think the wheat tastes better anyway.
  • Fiber One yogurt - it's actually delicious, and its an easy 50-calorie way to get 5g fiber in your system if you've been lacking that day.  Some cinnamon in the vanilla is awesome!
  • Healthy fats are good!  When I don't eat enough fat I get super hungry.  Some fats are actually good for you - like stuff with low saturated fat.  I typically mix a little bit of olive oil (no more than 1tbsp) with balsamic vinegar for salad dressing.  Also, I always eat the yolk of the egg.  It might not be the healthiest fat, but I've read there's good nutrients in there.  Also, if you eat eggs in moderation (2 a day at most) and don't have a lot of other cholesterol it can't be that bad.  I'm a fan of a simple hard boiled egg.
  • Salads - If I just eat veggies with dressing I get super hungry right after.  I try to always add something to a salad.  Olive oil dressing helps, but it's not enough for me.  I also add a scoop of beans, usually chickpeas and black beans.  Tons of fiber and protein!  Sometimes I add low-fat shredded cheese.
  • Dinner should not be the biggest meal of the day, unless you work out late at night.  It's silly - you need energy throughout the day so it doesn't make sense to eat most of your food at night.  Too bad the concept of a big dinner has been shoved into everyone's head forever now.
  • Because I don't think dinner should be huge - Eat a good breakfast!  My favorite cereal is Special K Protein Plus - 100 cal and 10g protein!  Skim milk adds more protein.  Some people complain it tastes like cardboard, but I put cinnamon on it and that does the trick for me.
  • Speaking of breakfast, I love egg & cheese sandwiches.  I make a 260 cal version at home.  I've found light wheat bread that's 70 cal for 2 slices.  Then I use 2 eggs.  I put one slice of Kraft 2% milk american cheese (50 cal).  Toast the bread and spray some of that 0 cal butter spray on it - makes it taste fattier than it is!  I also like to add chili powder to the eggs, and some hot sauce or cayenne pepper.  If you need meat on it, turkey bacon is a great lean option - I've found turkey bacon that's only 25 cal/slice!
  • Burgers - I love veggie burgers, and instead of a bun, I use that light wheat bread I mentioned before.  I can usually have a whole sandwich for under 200 cal!  If you're not wiling to do the veggie burger thing, make your own burgers with lean ground beef or turkey - awesome!!!
  • Herbs and spices - experiment with them a lot.  You can add a ton of flavor without extra calories or fat.  Definitely good for making veggies edible :)
These are some things I've already started living by... I love cheese on my salads, I put that on instead of dressing because it adds flavor and makes it healthier!! Thanks Amy for all these awesome tips... I guess it's time to work! SO i will chat with you all later! :) 


Have a great day... xoxox FAT KID OUT!

No comments:

Post a Comment